The undying love and appreciation mark Indian culture and practice for traditional Indian clothing. The most-worn piece by Indian women in this context is the saree. Putting on ethnic sarees that carry the richness and cultural values of the past is a form of acknowledging and respecting the long-standing etiquette.
Kanchipuram Pattu sarees make a significant mark among the innumerable sarees sold and bought. They are known worldwide for the lustrousness of the fabric, the beautiful patterns, and the gorgeous drape. This blog discusses the various ways to protect your Kanchipuram sarees from damage so they can be stored correctly for long-time use.
Storage of Kanchipuram Sarees
The saree is a valuable garment passed down as a cultural asset. Therefore, any woman’s wardrobe feels empty without a saree in it. Kanchipuram Silk sarees are known to be among the most bought sarees among other silks. It is quite high-valued and hence needs care during storage. Mentioned below are some of the easiest and correct ways you must take note of to keep your saree intact for prolonged usage.
- Your silk saree must have a muslin cloth wrapped around it before storage. You can also use soft and fine towels or get a cotton bag to keep it in.
- All of us keep our sarees untouched for a long time, especially when they’re meant for festive occasions; this can cause the folds to become defined and, with time, gradually cause rips and tears due to tension. You must re-fold the Kanchipuram sarees to avoid these splits.
- Store your saree in a cool and darker corner of your closet to minimize fading of colors or discoloration.
- Be sure to keep your sarees out in the air for a while. Kanchipuram Pattu sarees are not needed to be washed every so often. You can get a couple of uses out of each saree before you wash them.
- If you are skeptical about the odor in your wardrobe, use naphthalene balls or sprays to keep the fabric smelling fresh.
Washing of Kanchipuram Silk Sarees
Washing is a big part of caring for your Kanchipuram Silk sarees, and it requires a good hold of the basic knowledge based on the rules of washing pretty much any silk saree. Here are some tips on how to wash your saree the right way.
- For Kanchipuram sarees that have been used, it is recommended that you air them as much as possible.
- You can use a flat iron on low heat to iron the saree down to flatten out wrinkles or folds.
- If your saree has a stain, try to identify the type of stain and dab the area with some water as soon as possible. This will allow the stain to wash off easily.
- Washing for the first time will have the Kanchipuram Pattu sarees feeling silkier and less stiff, which is due to the washing off of the starch in the threads. Please note that it is normal, and your saree is completely in good condition.
- Note: It is advisable to send your Kanchipuram Silk sarees for professional cleaning and washing once in a while to maintain thread quality and luster